I’ve been wondering what to say to the many fathers I talk to about how to pursue church, evangelize the lost and experience the Kingdom when you’re leading a young family.
My short answer—make your table a portal to the Kingdom.
I’ve found this brings so many things together.
A table is where your kids taste that the Lord is good.
A table is where seekers find hope.
A table is where the promise of the Church being like family is fulfilled.
How? Here are some steps:
- Learn to have an amazing table experience with your immediate family. Train your kids to experience and enjoy your family’s table culture.
- Invite extended family and close friends into the table culture you’ve developed. Let their unique gifts and presence express itself under the leadership of your home.
- Extend hospitality to believers looking for a family experience. “The Lord places the solitary in a home.” Now you’re catching a glimpse of the church.
- Enfold those lost but seeking. They need to experience the Kingdom to believe in the King.
- Rinse and repeat. You have your very own Kingdom portal. Open it…often.
But remember it starts small. You, your spouse, your kids at your little table.
As its richness grows God will grow what you’ve planted.
“Enlarge your house; build an addition.
Spread out your home, and spare no expense!
For you will soon be bursting at the seams.
Your descendants will occupy other nations
and resettle the ruined cities.”
This is the hope…that others will find Jesus at your table.
And that you’ll find him there too.
This entry is a part of Jeremy’s Journal, a newsletter Jeremy sends out every Wednesday morning to encourage you on your parenting journey. You can sign up to get them every Wednesday here.